Be the difference

I sat recently and thought really hard about my kids and their futures and what I want for them. Do I want them to be rich? Successful? Cure cancer? Win Olympic gold? Well yes, all of the above if I’m being honest but deep down, what do I want my children to become. I want them to be good people; Good human beings with good hearts that want to do good things for others. There are just too many assholes in this world, it’s our job to ensue we help guide these kids away from potential assholdom (pretty sure that’s a word!) and towards.... what’s the opposite of assholdom?? Non- assholdom?!?! Yep, that’ll do nicely. 
 This sounds so idealistic and fluffy but it’s so true. I can’t honestly prepare them for the world they will live in in 15-20 years as I don’t know what that world will look like and I can’t fully prepare them for their future careers, perhaps these jobs haven’t even been invented yet; but I can prepare them to be good people; people who live life with empathy, altruism and who want and try to help others.

Studies have proven and continue to prove that doing good deeds increases life expectancy, reduces stress, improves your mental health and is generally a bloody good thing to do. 
 A study published in “Psychological Science” in 2012 found that upon reflecting on past good deeds, people feel selfless and motivated to repeat the deeds and do more. 

“Helper’s high” has been coined as the phrase to best describe the sensation one feels after completing a good deed and is the result of the brain releasing endorphins, the feel-good chemicals. Think back to the last time you helped someone, volunteered or did a selfless deed, remember that feeling afterwards? 
On the flip side, do you remember the words said or the smile given after you have done something for another??
 Last year, a stranger stopped my daughter in the street and gave her a rose and walked on. Without knowing, that woman planted something within me. This person didn’t know my child or hang around to see how this one act completely made my baby girl’s day. 




This random act of kindness not only produced the most gorgeous picture, it stamped the importance of good deeds on me. If we all did one thing ( maybe not every day, maybe once a week) how bloody wonderful could we make this world?! 
With so many uncertainties and wrongs currently going on in the world, I often feel helpless and that my actions are small and insignificant... but what if they weren’t?? What if one act changed someone and they go on to change the world? What if one act changed someone and they go forth and simply smile? Wouldn’t that be a wonderful legacy to pass on to our children?


On 15th April this year, it’s Good Deeds Day. Now don’t start me on “Hallmark days”, I think this year already it’s been national taco, donut, coffee and pimple popping day (all of which I have gladly participated in celebrating!). But why don’t we get our kids to start small... do something on 15th April to start the ball rolling. Do something on 15th April to show our kids that there is so much good in this world and that they can be a part of it.   Do something that costs nothing but will mean the world to someone; it doesn’t have to be any grand gesture but a good deed. Let’s make the world a wee bit brighter on 15th April.

Wishing you a great weekend,

Love Kay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Facebook!

Girls are mean!